At Fort Sanders Regional Medical Center we treat the moms, sisters and daughters of our area with the specialized, comprehensive care they need.
Our team of physicians work with women to address a variety of women’s health issues including menstruation, contraception, maternal health, childbirth, and breast cancer. Treatment here also can include medical situations special to women, including hormone therapy, heart disease and osteoporosis. Learn more about what services we offer below.
Fort Sanders Regional has gynecology specialists and gynecology/obstetrics specialists on staff who specialize in women’s reproductive systems – uterus, vagina and ovaries. Whether a woman is becoming sexually active, seeking contraception, beginning the family planning process, or suffering from an illness or infection of the reproductive system, one of our gynecology experts can help manage their treatment.
Gynecologists use either medical or surgical therapies to treat their patients. For our aging population, hormone therapy and gynecologic surgeries focusing on bladder repair and hysterectomy are prevalent. Some physicians have also received training in robotically assisted surgery techniques for select gynecologic procedures.
Your little one is on the way, and you want the best care possible. With either routine or high-risk pregnancies, at Fort Sanders Regional Medical Center, we have the physicians and experience you need to deliver your baby:
- Skilled, experienced obstetricians/gynecologists who deliver more than 3,000 babies a year.
- Fort Sanders Perinatal Center for high-risk pregnancies
- Teddy Bear University’s pre- and post-natal education classes
Our department features:
- Triage rooms for women experiencing problems or signs of early labor
- Antepartum suites for women who need extended hospital stays before delivery
- Labor and delivery suites, complete with showers for maximum comfort during labor
- Mother/Baby rooms, where new moms can recover and greet loved ones
- Renovated nursery – actually three in one!
- A well-baby nursery
- Observation nursery for babies who need extra attention
- Isolation nursery
- Quiet time throughout the floor
- Attractive decor, comfortable furniture and gorgeous views of mountains, rooftop gardens or downtown Knoxville
Building Bonds from Birth
We believe in the bond between a mother and her baby – that bond is supported from the start.
Our nursing staff practice couplet care – mother and baby see the same nurse instead of the mother being cared for by one nurse and the baby being care for by another. One nurse who cares for both can watch interactions and offer the best help, whether it’s support for bonding or advice on breastfeeding and infant care. Learn more about this initiative.
We’re one of the best!
In 2019, Fort Sanders Regional Medical Center was among four Covenant Health hospitals that earned the “BEST for Babies” award from the Tennessee Hospital Association and the Tennessee Department of Health. The award celebrates 18 hospitals across the state for their efforts to reduce infant deaths and improve the health of Tennessee’s newborns. Learn more about BEST for Babies.
Safe Sleep Certified
Cribs for Kids has recognized Fort Sanders Regional as Safe Sleep Certified for providing education and vital tools about safe sleep to the parents of newborns.
Every baby is special, but there can only be one first baby at a hospital at the start of the new year. This year, the first baby born at Fort Sanders Regional is Adel Lee Abbott, born at 1:51 a.m. on Jan. 1, 2021.