The Hip Fracture Center at Fort Sanders Regional uses evidence based hip fracture care to assure our patients receive the highest level of treatment and recover in a shorter amount of time.
Recognizing a Hip Fracture
A patient with a hip fracture will exhibit warning signs; however, each case is different and may mirror those of other injuries.
- Pain over the outer, upper thigh or in the groin.
- Significant discomfort with any attempt to flex or rotate the hip.
- If it is a complete break, the injured leg may appear shorter than the other.
- The injured leg will often be held in a still position, with the foot and knee turned outward
Why is Fort Sanders Hip Fracture Center the Right Choice?
The Hip Fracture Center was designed to bring a level of unmatched care to patients in East Tennessee. The streamlined process incorporates national “best practice” guidelines and a proven clinical pathway is utilized in the emergency room, allowing for a team of experts to expedite treatment for the patient.
- Quicker surgical intervention – normally within 24 hours. This results in better outcomes, fewer complications and shorter inpatient hospitalization.
- A team of geriatric nurses focused on the care of elderly adults.
- Fort Sanders has achieved “Exemplar” status for its Nurses Improving Care for Healthsystem Elders program. This honor acknowledges the hospital’s excellence in the care of patients 65 and older.
- Fort Sanders recognition as a Surgical Care “Top Performer” by the Joint Commission
- Active falls prevention program after surgery, assuring fewer setbacks.
- Extensive network of physical therapy options throughout the Covenant Health system.
For more information or to refer a patient to the Hip Fracture Center at Fort Sanders Regional, call (865) 673-FORT (3678).