Fort Sanders Regional Medical Center is committed to providing the highest level of geriatric care. We demonstrate our commitment through:
- Educating nurses in geriatric care. Our nurses have received special training about common health problems of older adults.
- Practices to help older patients regain health and be as functional as possible. We provide care to help prevent complications such as:
- Skin breakdown
- Acute confusion
- Loss of strength and mobility.
- Evaluating the care we provide, continuously monitoring:
- Patient and family satisfaction
- Patient response to care
- Length of hospital stays
- Improved care
Since we established specialized geriatric care at Fort Sanders Regional Medical Center, our geriatric patients have enjoyed significantly better care. We have seen a reduction in:
- Acute care falls
- Hospital-acquired pressure ulcers
- Use of restraints and potentially high-risk medications
- Average length of stay for high-risk geriatric patients
Fort Sanders Regional Medical Center believes in promoting best practices as the standard for geriatric nursing care.