We provide different levels of service to a variety of patients with Emergent (life-threatening), Urgent (not immediately life-threatening) and Non-urgent needs in our Emergency Department.
Depending upon the severity of your illness or injury, you may not be treated in the order in which you arrived.
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation with our admission process.
Our goal is to deliver efficient, excellent emergency care. Our 31-bed Emergency Department is equipped with the latest technology including computerized patient tracking, Radiology Services inside the ER and easy access to Surgery, Intensive Care, and other vital areas of the hospital.
The Fort Sanders Emergency Department entrance is accessed via Laurel Avenue and 19th Street. Covered parking is available adjacent to the Emergency Department patient drop-off area.
What would you do in a medical emergency? Although we don’t like to think about that, it’s good to be prepared… just in case. Keep a list of loved ones’ names, addresses, phone numbers, Social Security numbers, current medication (dosage and schedule) and insurance information. Also, know if they have a living will. You or a family member will be asked for this information upon arrival at the Emergency Department at Fort Sanders Regional Medical Center.
Inside the Emergency Department
You’ll benefit from timely, efficient care in the Emergency Department at Fort Sanders Regional Medical Center.
We have three emergency areas to serve you best:
- Priority Care Center – quick assessment and treatment for patients with non-life threatening emergencies
- Emergency Treatment Area – for patients who need quick help with medical emergencies including obstetrics/gynecology, orthopedic, and psychiatric problems, which may not be life threatening but still require emergency care.
- Trauma/Critical Care Area – for patients with life-threatening emergencies
To reduce waiting time
- Bedside registration – Avoid delays in the waiting room by taking care of paperwork at your bedside.
- Patient tracking system – We continually monitor your treatment and progress by computer.
- Radiology Room – X-ray equipment is conveniently located within the Emergency area – not down the hall or on another floor.
- Easy access – Surgery, Intensive Care and other vital parts of the hospital are close to the Emergency area.
When a patient is being attended to in the emergency room, a visitor’s pass will be given to one family member. We encourage that family member to serve as the information contact for other loved ones. The hospital staff cannot give information to family members without an okay from the patient.