In the hospital’s first 25 years, Fort Sanders Hospital established the Fort Sanders School of Nursing and brought the first private ambulance to the area. Read more about that first quarter century and about other Fort Sanders firsts here.
Gathered around scattered photos and newspaper clippings that have yellowed with time, three women take a break from their work at Fort Sanders Regional Medical Center to reminisce. When they were teenagers, Leslie Mellon, coordinator of customer service in materials management, and Jan Adam, medical staff coordinator, were junior volunteers at the hospital.
It was Feb. 23, 1920 when Fort Sanders Hospital opened for public inspection the doors of its sparkling new 65-bed hospital. In doing so, it claimed the promise of a bright future even as it emerged from some of the greatest global disasters the world has known.