Faster heart attack treatment when moments matter.
Comprehensive Heart Care
Fort Sanders Regional’s award-winning Heart Center offers comprehensive cardiovascular services that span the continuum of heart care. From testing to cardiac rehab, our advanced diagnostics, interventional technologies, cardiovascular surgeries, and clinical trials are tailored to meet your cardiac needs. Cardiac services at Fort Sanders Regional include:
- Cardiologists and cardiothoracic surgeons
- Cardiac diagnostics
- Digital catheterization lab
- Hybrid operating room
- Cardiac specialty unit
- Cardiothoracic surgical unit
- Telemetry control services
- Cardiac and pulmonary rehabilitation
Advanced Cardiac Diagnostics
You may have heard the phrase “time is muscle,” which refers to heart attack survivability. During a heart attack, blood flow does not reach heart tissue and the muscle can die. And the faster someone can receive medical care during a heart attack, the better their chances for recovery. That is why a fast, accurate diagnosis of a heart condition is so important. Here are some of the tools used at Fort Sanders Regional to more quickly diagnose a heart attack and cardiac conditions:
- Advanced 64-slice CT scanner captures incredibly precise images of the heart in just five heartbeats.
- Echocardiography uses ultrasound to produce a moving cardiac image in real time.
- Nuclear stress tests find difficult-to-detect problems in the heart’s outer covering.
- Electrocardiograms provide reliable diagnostics and stress tests performed right in the hospital assure immediate care if a problem is discovered.
Physicians at Fort Sanders Regional participate in clinical trials of cardiac devices, advanced surgical procedures, and new medicines for a wide range of heart conditions.
Minimally Invasive Treatment
Great strides in minimally invasive procedures all physicians to perform advanced procedures that previously would have required major incisions. Minimally invasive cardiac procedures at Fort Sanders include:
- All digital catheterization, which gives cardiologists unprecedented image clarity to view hard-to-see blood vessels with less radiation exposure for patients and physicians.
- Radiofrequency ablation treats atrial fibrillation with radio waves
- Drug-eluting stents open blocked arteries and help prevent a recurrence of the blockage.
Fort Sanders Regional has developed a resource booklet for patients with congestive heart failure. This booklet includes details about heart failure, how it is diagnosed and treated, and lifestyle information for those seeking to be as healthy and active as possible with heart failure. The booklet also contains tracking sheets to record information that will be helpful for you and your healthcare provider, and a list of related resources and services within Covenant Health.
To read the booklet online or download a printable copy, click here.
American Heart Association Distinctions
Mission: Lifeline® – Gold Plus Receiving Quality Achievement Award
Fort Sanders Regional has received the American Heart Association/American Stoke Association’s Mission: Lifeline®-Gold Plus Receiving Quality Achievement. This designation means that we continue to provide excellent care to patients who suffer severe heart attacks.
Mission: Lifeline® – NSTEMI Silver Quality Achievement Award
Fort Sanders Regional has received the American Heart Association/American Stoke Association’s Mission: Lifeline®-NSTEMI Silver Quality Achievement. This designation means that we implemented specific quality improvement measures to continue to provide excellent care to patients who suffer heart attacks.